Skip to main content

Justice Clarence Thomas: A Good Man

On Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and his Senate confirmation hearings:

Clarence Thomas is a remarkable man with a life story that you might even call heroic. 
He was born in a little town in Georgia with the unusual name of Pin Point. He was the descendant of slaves. His father was a farm worker, and his mother was a maid and housekeeper, and the family lived in the kind of poverty that would grind the ambition out of most people. He was seven years old before he lived in a house with indoor plumbing. 

Thomas was the only African American student in his high school. He was also an honor student. He studied English literature at the College of the Holy Cross and graduated cum laude. He went on to Yale Law School, graduating in 1974. 
                                                         * * *
When he did, finally, get a chance to answer the charges, Thomas drew a line in the sand. The charges were not true, and he would not endure the humiliation of answering them, point by point. He then went on to say, memorably, to the committee that 
This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree.”
The Judiciary Committee eventually voted seven to seven, and the nomination went to the floor for a vote. I spoke in favor of confirmation. Thomas was confirmed, but I don’t think anyone felt like celebrating. Least of all, Thomas himself. He later wrote in a memoir that “mere confirmation, even to the Supreme Court, seemed pitifully small compensation for what had been done to me.” 
It isn’t a rare thing for a member of the Senate to cast a vote for or against the nomination of a Supreme Court justice. Serve long enough, and it will happen. Perhaps even several times. But I don’t believe that there had ever been a Supreme Court nomination that had to go through what that one did in the Senate. I hoped that there would never be another. But, alas, the Brett Kavanaugh hearings were just as awful. If not worse. 
I saw Justice Thomas, from time to time, after his confirmation. Usually before or after Mass at St. Joseph’s Church near the Hart Senate Building. And then, one day, my colleague and friend Rick Santorum said he was meeting Thomas and Antonin Scalia for lunch and would I be interested in joining them? 
The lunch was at a nondescript little place that would never have made one of those Washington Post articles about the chic places where the Washington elite meet. The food was Italian, and it was wonderful. But not as good as the conversation. Like his mentor, the late Antonin Scalia, Thomas is blessed with a wonderful sense of humor. He has a big, hearty laugh that it doesn’t take much to stimulate. I don’t remember what was said at that lunch that was so funny, just that there was a lot of laughter. I couldn’t help, also, thinking that I was in the presence of a good man who had overcome more than most of us could imagine and had not let it sour him on the world. 
If my vote to confirm David Souter was the worst of my career in the Senate, then the one to confirm Clarence Thomas was one of which I am most proud. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cancer Survivors this is your day Today is National Cancer Survivors Day.  There are more of “us” every year and this is certainly something to celebrate.  Though we certainly shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that there is more to do and a long way yet to go. Still, there are many good stories. And much to be grateful for. I survived a melanoma – the kind of cancer that killed my brother – because, as I write in my book, the  … cancer had been detected in time, and the treatment, which had amounted to barely more than an inconvenience, had been successful.  Even if I hadn’t been a believer in early detection and treatment before, I surely would have been now.  I became even more of a believer a few months later. I had been on a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon, having the time of my life, and when it was over and I got home, Priscilla met me at the door. Later on, she would tell me that she had rehearsed how she was going to ask me to tell her
Jean Kennedy Smith r i p I met with her when she was U.S. Ambassador to Ireland and I was in the country, helping to negotiate a cease fire and framework for peace between the rival factions in what were called, euphemistically, as "the troubles." Here are my recollections of that meeting, from my book Citizen Mack : When I left Belfast, I went to Dublin, where I had another experience in peaceful coexistence. I was scheduled to visit the US embassy there and spend time with the ambassador, Jean Kennedy Smith, who was, of course, a member of the Kennedy political family. It seemed unlikely, to say the least, that I—a conser- vative Republican senator from a Southern state—would be able to bond in any way with her. I expected the visit to be strained and formal and that it would seem to drag on forever. Well, the spirit of reconciliation must have been in the air. After I was introduced to the ambassador, we began a bit of awkward small talk and before
D-Day remember the heroes  Source: U.S. Department of Defense photo via  Wikimedia Commons On the anniversary of this day, please take a moment to remember and to watch this very moving video,  Honoring Our Fallen Heroes , from Hillsdale College.  Freedom comes at a high price.  But it is always worth it.